“Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more” Dr. Seuss. #truth
This amazing sign (and photo) is handmade by Sweet Peas and Honey Bees. Find them HERE on Etsy and order your sign before they are sold out! I have this one and it is fits just right in our home.
Struggle to buy meaningful gifts for your family and friends? Do you feel like they have everything? When I give a gift it is because I want to give something. I want it to be meaningful. I want the recipient to enjoy it. I want it to be special. But how do you do that when you feel like kids have everything? The piles of presents on Christmas morning is extreme and honestly, they are not appreciated. The kids in our family our too small to appreciate how many gifts they receive and if that’s the norm, I am not sure they would be appreciated even when they are older. I don’t believe overwhelming our children with piles of gifts is helping them, so why do we do it?
I’m just as guilty as anyone, but I am working at not buying things just because. If a new toy is a regular occurrence then of course it won’t be special. This is something we, as parents, teach our children. I also hate to think that I am taking away the magic of gift giving from aunts, uncles and grandparents because I choose to buy unnecessary gifts for my children for no reason.
To help bring back the magic of Christmas, we have decided to have a handmade Christmas. Either you make it yourself (I come from a family of “makers”) or else you buy handmade. Both are special. The idea is to buy less, but perhaps have the gifts you do buy, mean a little more. More for less 🙂
Full disclosure, this is our first attempt at a handmade Christmas, so there may be a few items that do not qualify as handmade (like books), however the big ticket items will be!
“When you support handmade you are not just supporting a person, small business, family, our economy; you are purchasing a small part of an artist’s heart.” True story. I truly appreciate each and every order, no matter how big or small <3
If you are looking for handmade gift ideas for children, you’ll definitely want to check out Maman Loup’s blog post: Made in Canada Children’s Holiday Gift Guide.
I also have for you 6 handmade stocking stuffer ideas for girl toddlers.
- Necklace by Mama and Babe Beads (top left): because every girl needs their own necklace.
- Lady Bug Heart Bandana Bib by Sew Bright Creations (top middle): Save a shirt, buy a bib! Bandana bibs can be worn by toddlers too. Don’t let them ruin their outfit, put on a trendy bib that they will love instead.
- Rose Headband by Treasured Peach (top right): the perfect accessory for that special Christmas outfit.
- Undies!! Although they aren’t for sale, I made these just for my girl and I think I need to make myself some too. They are so soft, I know she is going to love them. Who doesn’t love new underwear 😉
- Hair Ties by Sew Bright Creations (bottom left): these hair bows are tied onto quality elastics that add a simple, but fun touch to any outfit. Moms too! Only a few available on Etsy, however more will be listed in the new year.
- Sew Bright Top Knot Headbands (middle left): so versatile, these headbands are extremely soft, your child will WANT to wear them! Available in many different patterns and also in mommy and me sets.
And don’t forget about that stocking! Only a few of these Sew Bright Colouring Stockings available! Cut off for Christmas orders is Dec. 8. Order yours HERE!
Let’s hear your favourite stocking stuffer or handmade gift ideas!